Thursday, April 21, 2016

Up On The Roof...

"When this old world starts getting me down..." I was listening to oldies (I know, big surprise) yesterday at my desk, and The Drifters song "Up On The Roof" came on.  (By the way, if you want to see what I listen to, feel free to find me on Spotify and check out at the playlists I have created.)  Yesterday's song was today's motivation, so here goes...

One of the many things I love about photography is how many different ways the same subject can look from different perspectives.  When I see other photographers shooting at the same events/parks, etc. as me, I usually try to get their card so I can look at their work later on.  Not to compete, not to compare, just to try to view things from a different perspective.  Every once in a while I even step out of "lazy" mode and try to find a new perspective on my own to try...

"I climb way up to the top of the stairs..." that Drifters song again.  I had the opportunity to create a different perspective not too long ago. I was at a car show that was being held at a local restaurant, and the parking lot circled a good part of the building.  Someone was gracious enough to allow me roof access, and I was able to take some photos of the event from a very different perspective than my usual one.

I guess the over-arching message here is to try to look at things a little differently from time to time.  Perspective is everything. Sometimes, seeing things from a different point of view tells a different story than the one you're used to.  Looking up, or (as in this case) looking down, looks different than looking at.  The roof happened to be all mine that morning, but I'm guessing that's because nobody else asked.  "And if this world starts getting you down, there's room enough for two up on the roof..." Yep, same song.  Thanks to the Drifters for some motivation.  Remember, if you're not having fun when you're out shooting, you're probably doing something wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post, Russ! Perspective is my favorite part of art no matter the medium.

    ReplyDelete