Friday, March 23, 2012

Full of Hot Air...

It's time once again for the New Smyrna Beach Hot Air Balloon Fest. I have gone for the past two years and enjoyed it. In fact, I have sold four images that I have taken at this event, so it's also proven to be a cash positive event for me. There are some who would say this event is a good fit for me, as I am frequently full of hot air...

So, what's not to love about an event like this? From a photographers perspective this event has great potential. Large, colorful balloons (some in interesting shapes) start filling up just before dawn breaks and they launch into the sunrise. You get the cool effect of flames glowing in the pre-dawn and you get the "golden hour" light as they launch. Lots of visually interesting stuff going on, which means lots of opportunities for great photos. The subject matter seems to be universally well-liked (have you ever heard anyone mutter under their breath how much they hate hot air balloons? Nope, me neither).

Events like this are great opportunities to expand your photo portfolio as well as sharpen your skills. For me, this event is a chance to shoot "up" a lot more than I usually do. Up is a different perspective than I am used to, so I get to see things a little differently through the lens. When I am out shooting wildlife, "up" can be a messy perspective. I have seen a photographer or two wind up with a mess to clean off of their lens...

Hope to see you out at the NSB Ballon Fest. Remember, if you're not having fun while you're out shooting you're probably doing something wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment